Consumer revenue continues to be a hot topic for news organizations around the world, especially as more and more newsrooms ask their readers and viewers directly to support their work. But setting up a clear and actionable strategy for building reader revenue into your business model isn’t easy — and there are many different options to consider.
With that in mind, the Center for Cooperative Media partnered with LION Publishers to host “Reader Revenue: How news organizations can build a business with their audience” on Friday, April 6.
Topics included membership, subscriptions, paywalls and more. Speakers included:
- Gwen Vargo, director of reader revenue at the American Press Institute.
- Emily Goligoski, research director of the Membership Puzzle Project.
- Christine Shih of the News Revenue Hub.
- Maria Archangelo, Executive Director of The Philadelphia Public School Notebook.
- Matt Skibinski of the Lenfest Institute for Journalism.
- Matt DeRienzo, executive director of the Local Independent Online News Publishers.
- Jay Senter, editor and publisher of the Shawnee Mission Post.
You can view the livestream video of the event below, along with the slides from each of the presenters.
- Paths to Subscriptions by Gwen Vargo, American Press Institute
- Results from Membership Puzzle Project research by Emily Goligoski, Membership Puzzle Project
- Digital Subscription Reader Revenue by Matt Skibinski, Lenfest Institute
- Sustaining Public Service Journalism by Christina Shih, News Revenue Hub
Please send and questions or comments to Stefanie Murray at email@example.com.