Early in the 2020 coronavirus pandemic, the Center for Cooperative Media recognized a need for resource sharing among New Jersey’s news providers, and in particular a need for partnerships with ethnic and immigrant media. One of the earliest programs the Center launched was a translation initiative to take COVID-19-related stories of statewide importance and translate them from English into other languages.
Every week the Center selects several COVID-19 related stories published by NJ Spotlight or NorthJersey.com that are translated into multiple languages and made available to NJ News Commons partners. The translations, which began in March 2020, were first funded by the New Jersey Local News Lab Fund, which is a partnership of the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation, Democracy Fund, and Community Foundation of New Jersey. Since June 2020, the work as been funded by a grant from the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation.
Through this translation initiative, the Center works with partners from Reporte Hispano, The Korea Daily and Sing Tao Daily to translate COVID-related stories of statewide importance from English into Spanish, Korean and Chinese. Additionally, Reporte Hispano, The Korea Daily and Sing Tao Daily translate occasional important COVID-19-related stories from Spanish, Korean and Chinese into English. Those stories are also available for republication and can be accessed below, here or from the Center’s daily COVID-19 newsletter.
By republishing this content, you are agreeing to abide by the following rules:
1. Content must retain full attribution
This includes the author’s name/byline and the name of the originating news organization. You may either:
- Publish the headline, byline (By Author’s Name, NJ Spotlight) and the first three paragraphs — with a link back to the full story.
- Publish the headline, byline and full story, as long as it still links back to the original story, and it includes this required text at the beginning: This story was written and produced by NJ Spotlight. It is being republished under a special NJ News Commons content-sharing agreement related to COVID-19 coverage. To read more, visit njspotlight.com.
- Remember: This is for text only. DO NOT use or republish any images from NJ Spotlight or NJTV.
2. Content must published as-is
No editing of the content/copy is allowed.
3. Content must include full tagline
Each story includes a tagline at the end that must be published in full, including the hyperlink to the originating news organization’s website.
Send an email to email@example.com.
Read the latest
By Oni Advincula | Feb. 4, 2021
In partnership with NorthJersey.com, stories about vaccine distribution were translated into 9 languages and published in 12 ethnic news outlets across the state.